The Owlhouse

www.owlhouse.co.za
One of the most memorable and amazing experiences I've had this year, was my visit to Nieu Bethesda, to Helen Martins' Owl House & Camel Yard. Since I've studied Athol Fugard's book ("The Road to Mecca") in my English Literature class at university, I have had a deep-felt fascination with Helen Martins and the work of art she created. Now, almost 6 years later, I have had the chance to visit the little Karoo village. I did a bit of research before we took the long road to the Valley of Desolation, and also took 3 guide books with me, to make the experience more interesting. It was everything and much, much more than I ever could've imagined.


The village is set in a valley about 30km's outside Graaff Reinet. You turn off from the N1, and follow a gravel road that snakes through the koppies down, down into the little village of Nieu Bethesda. It truly feels as if time has stood still there. An eerie, almost spiritual athmosphere makes you wonder why it is always so quiet, and so peaceful. When we booked in to our humble accommodation, I was still unsure of where exactly the Owl House was situated. At sunset I saw it for the first time, bathed in a later-afternoon, orange haze, locked up, quiet, almost waiting. It was then where I came up with the idea to write the short story of Helen Martins' spirit visiting the house, when darkness falls. I might post it later, when I'm 100% happy with it!

During our 4 days in the village, I've visited the Owl House twice. Once during a sunny morning, once during a late, windy afternoon, when I was the only visitor still there. Both unforgettable experiences. It was almost as if you could feel her presence there, in the house, but also outside in the Camel Yard. The fact that she commited suicide, and that she was cremated and her ashes strewn over the sculptures, makes it all the more interesting.. To be quite honest, I was anxious at some moments, and a bit freaked out! (I blame this on my over-active imagination.)

If you're ever in the Karoo, and have time to kill? It's a must-see, even if you're not into art. It is not just a place to visit, but definately an experience you will never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter on the coast.

I love what I do.

A picnic under a tree