Something true


"Let everything happen to you. Beauty and terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final." 
- Rainer Maria Rilke

A bit of very valuable truth that I carry with me. When I read this quote for the first time a few years ago, it made such an impact that I can honestly say it has become my life's motto.

I am an empath and most of my days are determined by my (and others') feelings and emotions. Combine that with my INFJ personality type (introverted, intuitive, feeling, judging) with characteristics including being sensitive, passionate, private, creative and a bit perfectionistic - it leaves me with a whole bunch of interesting thoughts and feelings to deal with daily!

That's why it is so comforting to read this quote, whenever, wherever and to be reminded that no feeling is final. Feelings are like friends visiting, they come and go.

Rumi so accurately describes it in his poem, "The guesthouse", and I quote:

THE GUEST HOUSE
This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice.
meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.
Be grateful for whatever comes.
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond. 
– Jelaluddin Rumi,
Translation from The Essential Rumi by Coleman Barks

There was a time that I was afraid to feel what I feel, but I'm not afraid anymore. My door is open to all of them, they're all welcome because I know they won't stay forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter on the coast.

A picnic under a tree

I love what I do.